We serve a God that has a purpose and plan for His creation. The pinnacle of His creation is Humanity and the early parts of Genesis provide us with clarity on His intent and design for human beings. All humanity was created in the image of God and as so, we all reflect His goodness and glory to others. However, due to sin, that image has been marred in us and we have sought to be our own authority, rather than submitting to the good authority of our Creator. Therefore, human sexuality and gender identity has become an area of confusion in the lives of many individuals. But, God has given us His word to provide clarity on how He intended us to view ourselves, sexuality, relationships, and our purpose to glorify Him. In His Word, He has revealed to us His plan of restoration through Jesus, who is the exact image of God, without stain or sin. So, that even in our failings, we have a righteousness that far surpasses our own. The goal of this study is for you to understand God’s intention and design for humanity and be transformed by the power of the gospel to live out that plan through the work of the Holy Spirit in your lives!
1. Read Genesis 1:26-27. What does it mean and why is it significant that we are all made in the “image of God”?
2. Why does having a high view of who God is give a high view of humanity & relationships?
3. How does knowing the who & why of God (worldview) & the who & why of you (identity) determine how we are (behavior) in relationships?
4. Why is gender identity and human relationships so important to our understanding of God and His purpose for our lives and future?
5. How do we see the gospel in God’s original design but also in our distortion of His design through sin?
6. Why should believers flee from sexual immorality? (Read 1 Cor. 6:18 to give context.)
God has purposed relationships to reflect and glorify Him. By his design, God has purposed a one man/one woman marriage to display His gospel and has given these married couples the gift of sex to enjoy, experience intimacy, procreate, and ultimately glorify Him.
1) Guys-Based on tonight’s message summarize God’s purpose for marriage and sex. Girls – How does Ephesians 5 remind us that while marriage is important, it’s not the only way to fulfill the purpose of God & His Gospel Plan?
2) Talk about why Paul says covetousness is really idolatry. Why is it unsustainable for those whose identity is in Christ? Are you putting something or someone over the Transcendent & Preeminent God?
3). Girls – Why do we view the role of submission for the wife in marriage negatively? How can we view it in a more positive way?
Guys – According to Ephesians 5, how are men supposed to love their wives? Why?
4) Using Ephesians 5 what are characteristics you should be looking for in a purposed relationship (dating/courting) leading to marriage?
5) How far is too far? Thats a question that get’s asked a lot. Read Matthew 5:27-30. a)Summarize how Jesus responds. b)Jesus’ answer shows us that the problem with sex is not sex, it’s us…How does the gospel remedy this problem?