Week 34|Matthew 13:24-58
January 30, 2019
Before you read God’s Word today, take a moment and quiet your heart before the Lord. Ask Him to speak to you through His Word and to open your heart to receive what He has to say.
Then read Matthew 13:24-58.
Comprehension (What does it say?)
1. How many parables does Jesus tell in this passage? Can you see repeated themes or similarities between them?
2. Jesus explains the parable of the weeds. Write out what each key player in the parable represents.
3. Why did Jesus speak in parables (vs 35)? Read Psalm 78:1-4 to see the passage Jesus was quoting here.
4. What is the kingdom of heaven like, according to verses 31, 33, 44, 45, and 47?
5. Why were people in Jesus’ hometown astonished at his teachings (vs 54-55)?
Interpretation (What does it mean?)
1. How are the parable of the weeds and the parable of the net similar? What message are they giving us?
2. In the parable of the mustard seed and in the parable of the leaven, Jesus speaks of a small beginning leading to the great coming of the Kingdom. How would this have shocked His listeners?
3. The explanation of the parable of the weeds speaks of the judgment of Christ at the end of the age. Read 1 John 3:10, Joel 3:13, and Rev 14:15. How is it clear who God’s children are? And what will happen to those who remain His enemies? Read Daniel 12:3. What will happen to the righteous?
4. Why did Jesus’ family and friends initially not believe He was the Messiah?
Application (How should it change me?)
1. How do the parables of the treasure in the field and the pearl of great price challenge you? Is Jesus your treasure? Take some time to search your heart and discover if you are treasuring something else instead.
2. If there are people in your life who are unsaved, let the reality of their eternity without Christ sober you. Write their names here and pray for them.
3. Are you, like the disciples were, growing in your understanding of Jesus? Are you learning to bring out treasures, new and old, from the Word (vs 52)?
4. What have you learned about the Kingdom of Heaven from these parables?
5. Verse 58 tells us that Jesus did not do many mighty works in His hometown because of their unbelief. In what areas of your life do you have trouble believing what Jesus says? Repent and ask Jesus to increase your faith.
As you finish your study, thank Jesus for the wonderful pictures He gives us in this chapter of the Kingdom of Heaven. Ask Him to make Himself your greatest treasure.
For Further Study:
Mark 4:26-34, Luke 13:18-21, Mark 6:1-6